The Fulbright Association Georgia received its first Chapter Enrichment grant in 2002, thanks to Dr. Constance Chapman, who organized the trip for our visiting students and scholars around the African American experience in Atlanta. Since then we have traveled to Americus, St. Simons Island, Birmingham, Savannah, Chattanooga, the Okefenokee Swamp, amongst other places.
For many years now the Board has organized six annual events for our visiting scholars, students and alumni:
- February: dinner and program at alumnus Mr. Jerry Cooper’s home
- April: Spring reception hosted by a Consul General in Atlanta
- August: Welcoming picnic at a local Atlanta park
- September/October: Fall reception at an Atlanta area college or university
- November: Enrichment trip to different parts of the state or Southeast
- November: match students & scholars with alumni for Thanksgiving dinner
Most of our students and scholars are located in the Atlanta area. The chapter arranges transportation to events for a large group that is at the University of Georgia, as well as for students and scholars in other areas of the state.
For 2015, the board has adopted two of the national board’s core tracks: Global Health and International Education. Two working groups have been formed to work on these initiatives. Kick-off events for both of these tracks are posted in the calender section.
In November, the national Fulbright conference has been hosted by the Georgia, Alabama and S. Carolina chapters in conjunction with the Nobel Peace Laureates World Summit which took place in Atlanta November 15-19, 2015.